Thursday, May 20, 2010

Meaning to clean

So I sorta cleaned the house yesterday. Lets call it the beginnings of cleaning the house. Listen, I would love to be a great house keeper, I really would. I get my lack of skills from my parents. They believed that a house doesn't have to be super duper organized and spic and span. Playing, reading, cooking are much better uses of time than obsessively cleaning. I agree but then when we are having people over I have to scramble to declutter, put away the mound of clean clothes that are residing on the dinning room table, and pick up toys.

One set of my cousins are the crazy about cleaning their houses type. Everything in their homes is white, couches, carpet, counter tops, etc. When my mom and I would go their we would be afraid to sit down for fear of staining the chair. When you eat they sit next to you and wipe away crumbs. It borders on the ridiculous. But that's how they are happiest. It's just not for me.

I recently watched a documentary on the Shakers. (This is going to be a really simplistic explanation) They believed that you should do everything perfectly because everything you do should be to glorify God and by doing it perfectly it would glorify Him. I understand their point and all but I'm imperfect therefore everything I do is going to be imperfect. And I don't think my imperfect actions glorify God any less. So as I hurried along finding places for XYZ I kept thinking of the Shakers and their work ethic. I decided that doing my best not doing it perfectly but my best was really the greatest thing I could do.

Then Peter comes home last night and says that the party is off, to be rescheduled at a later date. Time conflicts and all. I was relieved, elated, and sat down to knit. Which is what I wanted to be doing all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment